So, I happen to have a soft spot for memes. And books. And characters.
Somewhat recently I found the blog of sweet/salty Kate, and I've sort of become entranced and she happens to have a new book The Dread Crew: Pirates of the Backwoods and has a post up over at her place inviting others to share their answers for a chance at receiving her book as well as a spot in the reviewer's circle. Let the awesomeness commence!
1) You are facing an epic journey. You may choose one companion, one tool and one vehicle from any book or film to accompany you. Or just one of the three. It’s up to you. What do you choose.
AH. I’m going to have to go with the author’s pick of Jamie from the Outlander series as my companion. He could protect me and then we could, ah, rest. And as for vehicle, oh what the hell, let’s go with Donas the horse. Yes, I have obsession problems.
2) You can escape to the insides of any book. Where do you go, and why.
Prince Edward Island. To ANY of Lucy Maude Montgomery’s character’s homes. I still love to read those books every once in awhile to remember what it was I really wanted when I grew up.
3) You can bring one literary character into your current life. Who do you choose, and why?
Augustus from Lonesome Dove. Someone who has lived an adventurous life and is always in good spirits to regale you with lengthy tales about past times and the meaning of life.
4) _______ is my go-to book. I could read that book fifty-seven times in a row without a break for food or a pee and not be remotely bored. In fact I’ve already done that but it wasn’t fifty-seven times. It was sixty-four.
Outlander. All of the series. I read, and re-read them a few times a year. I love it to an obsession (see number 1). It’s the ultimate adventure, pure un-adulterated escapism. LOVE IT.
5) Of all the literary or film characters that made an impression on you as a kid, who was the most enviable?
Anne Shirley. Wholesome, spirited, rising up from being an orphan to a much loved friend and member of society, I love the book, love the movie.
6) Of all the literary or film characters that made an impression on you as a kid, who was the most frightening?
Though I had no business whatsoever seeing this movie as a child, the creepy old man in weird hat in the poltergeist movie. GAH.
7) Every time I read _______________, I see something in it that I haven’t seen before.
I think in the Great Gatsby I see new ways that the book, in the way it’s told, is absolutely timeless.
8) It is imperative that ________ be made into a movie. Now. I am already picketing Hollywood for this – but if they cast _____ as ____, I will not be happy. I will, however, be appeased if they cast _______.
I’m torn on this. I think To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the only movies that does justice to the book. So, when I love a book, I hate the thought of it being made into a movie. But for fun’s sake (and this is where you will roll your eyes) should Outlander be made into a movie, I would be disgusted if they chose anyone but Gerard Butler for Jamie. One can hope.
9) _______ is a book that should never be made (or should have never been made) into a film.
The Other Boleyn Girl. The movie didn’t even really have the same plot, which was, er, odd.
10) After all these years, the _________ scene in the book/movie _______ still manages to give me the queebs.
Clown under the bed. That’s all I can say.
11) After all these years, the __________ scene in the book/movie ____________still manages to give me a thrill.
Jake Ryan leaning on the car when Molly Ringwald walks out of the church at the end of sixteen candles. Sigh.
12) If I could corner the author _______________, here’s what I’d say to them one minute or less about their book, ___________:
Oh gracious. Here I go again. I’d gush to Diana Gabaldon that she has provided me with years of entertainment, thank you, thank you.
13) The coolest non-fiction book I’ve ever read is ______________. Every time I flip through it, it makes me want to ________________.
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It makes me want to grow, preserve, eat homegrown food FOREVER. Also, grow asparagus to see what it looks like in tree form.